The mission of the University Catholic Center is to provide pastoral care to the Roman Catholic community at the University of Texas at Austin and to advance the spiritual, intellectual and social life of the students, faculty, staff and administration.
The Mission of the University Catholic Center
The University Catholic Center is a nonprofit religious organization, and member of the Diocese of Austin. The Center was established to serve the students on the University of Texas campus as well as faculty, staff, alumni and resident community members. We seek to foster spiritual and intellectual growth in the university setting. The Center promotes the six goals of campus ministry as outlined by the U.S. Bishops’ Pastoral Letter on Campus Ministry, Empowered by the Spirit:
- Forming the Faith Community - creating a sense of belonging, a place to have fun and to meet other people of faith on a tremendously large campus
- Educating for Justice - making young people aware of social concerns and social justice, and how to participate
- Appropriating the Faith - educating people about the Catholic faith and preparing them to receive the Sacraments
- Facilitating Personal Development - providing group and individual opportunities to learn more about how we think and feel and look at life
- Forming the Christian Conscience - helping young people to integrate their faith into the decisions they make in their daily lives
- Developing Leaders for the Future - providing the experience and teaching the skills needed to be good leaders in the Church.
The University Catholic Center fosters spiritual and intellectual growth in the university setting. By encouraging students to take active roles in liturgy, volunteer work, and social justice projects, the Center staff prepares these young people to become leaders in the larger Catholic community and to raise families in the Catholic Christian tradition. The University Catholic Center provides a safe and hospitable place for the community’s educational and social needs. Within our walls, students can pray, reflect, relax, study, have fun and grow.
For generations UT Catholic students found their spiritual “home away from home” at the Catholic Center.